Wednesday, November 12, 2008

WE Doth Protest Not Enough!

I support her right to wear OUR flag disrectfully and unflatteringly and not be stoned to death for doing so. And with those shoes! BUT she don't get to vote on my equal rights.



So I'm going to this protest on Saturday at City Hall in New York. It is to protest against the passage of Proposition 8 in California. And Props in Arizona, Arkansas and Florida. It is to protest that EQUAL RIGHTS have been violated in the UNITED States.

Yes, these particular propositions all happen to involve gay people, but I do not see these as gay rights issues, I see these as violations of Equal Rights. I see these as putting inequality into law: making some citizens LESS equal than others.

And I do not see this as a GOD issue. Go to church and get God. BE like God, but you don't get to BE God. AND you don't get to PLAY God in matters of state.

Let's just change these props to apply to black people instead of gay people for discussion purposes:

Black people cannot marry anyone. Period. Black people in Arkansas cannot adopt children or be foster parents.

Does that sound fair? Would people stand for that? Of course not, nor should they.

Or change it to male people, or white people, or Mormon people or Catholic people or disabled people, or people of Scottish heritage. Change and change and change. It is discrimination.

Since when do we VOTE in a democracy on our level of COMFORT with other peoples' rights? Could you imagine if we put your marriage up to a vote? YOUR abilities up to a vote?

I ask you to get up and go out on THIS Saturday and protest with me for EQUAL RIGHTS FOR ALL UNDER THE EYES OF THE LAW. Please go to http://jointheimpact.com/ to find the location nearest you.

We are protesting for equal rights all over the United States on that day. Together. Stand up and be counted. If you really, truly support me and think I'm a descent guy then maybe I have put a face on something for you as you have for me. Start with doing for your friend Pat who is being discriminated against, but then realize you are doing it for you and your families as well. Equality under the eyes of the law is vital to what this country stands for.

Again, this is not even separate water fountains or back of the bus. In the case of marriage and equal rights, gay people have no fountains and no buses.

And we won't be "cured" or go away. We deserve our place at the table. And you deserve to keep yours along side us.

Bring your kids.

No comments: