Sunday, November 30, 2008

Technology and the Sunday Roast.

Cold and rainy day and night here in Manhattan.    The perfect time to stay in and read that book or watch that old movie.  Of course that kind of notion sadly makes me want to break out in hives.  

Thanks to the internet, texting and a constant nervous state of being the idea of sitting still makes me crazy. I no longer know how to watch television without pausing and washing dishes or checking e-mail.  I cannot read a book for fear that I will, I don't know what!  The thought of sitting STILL in my apartment, in my life - is TOO terrifying.  

This should be the scariest notion of all.  I no longer know how to be still.   

Meditation, the thought of it, makes me queasy.  

So back to rainy, cold, dark night.  I am home. It is a lovely place. The perfect place to eat soup and read a murder mystery. 

 I get dressed and head out for the gym. 

While I am waiting the bus, umbrella in hand, I realize, YOU ARE NUTS.  YOU GO BACK INTO THAT FLAT AND RELAX. NOW!  

I marched back home and made phone calls. And cod.  And cabbage.  And kashi. And roasted squash.  

Now I am typing what I just did instead of doing.  

Sadly, I am all a Twitter. 



1 comment:

Lexa said...

I am very ADD-challenged myself. And I don't think it has much to do with the technology--although it certainly doesn't help matters. I will put in one contact, go make coffee, vacuum, read a couple pages, then put in the other contact.

But I do like the meditation. I highly recommend it.