Saturday, November 15, 2008

Just say NO!!!

All across the nation at 1:30 ET people came out to protest and said NO to inequality and discrimination. The matter is not about "morality" or religious beliefs or approval, it is about making all people equal under the eyes of the law. The passage of Proposition 8 in California which AMENDS the state constitution to say "Marriage is ONLY between a man and woman" thus TAKING AWAY rights from California citizens. 18,000 Gay and Lesbian couples got married and now their marriages are in question plus the door is shut on any other gay or lesbian couples getting married. Is that fair? Is that equality no matter what you think of gay people?

Did you know a gay person can now not adopt a child or be a FOSTER PARENT in Arkansas? And nor can any straight person who is not married!!! Who does this hurt? The kids. Is there is fudging of church and state here? I'd say so. And before anyone makes dismissive jokes, that is serious business. The chip, chip, chipping away of rights. You can hear it, you can feel it.

Before I get to my protest in New York, I want to SHOUT OUT that my friend Merrill in the Bay Area who worked with her amazing kids, Chandler and Liam, and they made a poster of their own and went and protested in San Jose!!!! She told me I inspired them. And you can imagine how this made me feel. Wow. This is a straight woman with a husband, my friend Will, who got up and out and said NO. She knows me. Her kids know me. They didn't think it was right.

I thank them for their support, their courage and I thank Merrill for taking the opportunity to teach her already bright kids about something that is not yucky, horrible, or to be shunned. We exist. And NO one is saying you have to talk about my horrible dating life in your classrooms! Loads of lies went down and today people got up and out and said NO across this great nation.

Please continue to tell people what is happening and why is it not right to have a majority take away rights from a minority.


The amazing Liam and the amazing Chandler. They made this sign! Liam and Chandler's first protest sign. Their Berkeley grad dad will be proud.

*************************

New York City held their protest down at City Hall. I was a volunteer and got people to sign a letter to Sen. Reuben Diaz of the Bronx who said he will not support any State Senators who support gay people being allowed to marry. It keeps going folks. I got a lot of signatures and got the word out. I was able to stand with my friend Dolores and hold up signs to tourist buses that came by. About 7000 people showed up to say NO!!!! It was very moving and very empowering for me. I feel I have to be a stand up guy and this is one of the causes I have to stand up about.





Calm before the storm of peaceful protesters at City Hall NYC.



These two guys got married in my hometown of San Francisco.

I liked his sign, I should have proposed. "Hey nice sign, wanna go to Connecticut?"

My pal Dolores. It was a pleasure to hang out with her today! I feel her energy!


Way cool husband and wife. I really appreciate them standing up and told them so.




My friends Dolores and John with his friend Lin.








My Pal AL!!! in LA. With man in bridal dress!!!My pal Jon in San Francisco! Lovely day to say NOOOOO!!!

No comments: