Saturday, November 29, 2008

La Goulue et Moi et Mes Amis



Sadly John had to go back to LA for work.  But Helene and Daniele are staying on to check out more of the town.  Being both French gals they wanted to take me to a very French place here in New York.  They heard that La Goulue was a good choice.

Bon choix?!  Are you kidding me?  It is an EXCELLENT choix.   I have always wanted to go there. In fact I told Helene that I told myself that I was going take ME to La Goulue once I got a job to celebrate. 

And here I was, ce soir, celebrating. No job, but simply la vie avec mes amis.   Maybe it is a sign of good things to come?  I certainly hope so.  

No matter.  I had  a WONDERFUL time.  As I mentioned before I truly adore and respect and admire Helene so much.  And after several glasses of water I told her that she inspires me to take chances.  (Okay, so I didn't mention ALL that before, but it is so vrai.)  And her mom is just LOVE to me.  I feel her joy and it is infectious. I am so happy she is closer to Helene now that she is in LA and not Paris.  Though I would gladly have housesat!

Back to the meal.

Helene is one of the people who taught me food appreciation.  She loves life and food is a big part of life.  Oui?

I started with l'eau de New York and a duck salad.  It was wonderful.  Next to the salad I had at Chez Panisse, I am still thinking about it. And then I had a dorade fish dish that was perfectly French and perfectly prepared and perfectly (almost) Weight Watchers.   We split a lovely chocolate dessert. 

And cafe americain of course. 

Just being there with two lovely ladies in this bistro setting on the Upper East Side all warm and tended to.  It was the way life is supposed to be. For that moment at least it was.  

Merci Helene! 

No comments: