Saturday, November 8, 2008

Byrne Gets Hitched

The Pipe Major of the Monaghan Pipe Band that I play in got married today. He was married way out on Long Island in the town of Northport. I had no idea it was so far away and lucked out getting a lift with fellow bandsman Brian and his wife Vanessa.

This time of year and that part of Long Island are truly beautiful. Changing and falling leaves, church spires and obelisks in the middle of towns marking war heroes and New Englandy white wooden houses. It all works. The day was not promising weatherwise. But, hey, it is November.

Byrne and Kate finally set a date. She is so beautiful and nice I can't believe he waited so long.


Tommy pipes next to his car.


Irish much?

Byrne's new wife, Kate, HAD the same last name as me before today. I can tell we are going to get along.


Scene out of one of those HBO Irish Soprano type shows. Indeed. "Band of Brothers McMullen"

Tommy posing.

Paul the mensch.

Eddie and Tommy take a well-rehearsed candid shot.

Cut up Dan and lifesaver Brian and an non band member.


The reception was even further out on the island where you could see neither Russia nor Manhattan. Far.

But stunning. It was held at The Three Village Inn in Stony Brook. The kind of place on a dreich day like today where you just want to go upstairs afterwards, take a hot bath and read a book. And many did stay.

The band played at the reception and that is always fun. It creates a sense of camaraderie I think. Byrne got up to play as well as newly ordained Fr. Lachlan, who married them. He is the brother of bandmate Eddie and used to play play in the band himself. Just think of the power of a priest who can pipe you in and then marry you! And Eddie announced his engagement to Liz. Fantastic news. I just met her and instantly liked her. Dan gave his off he cuff toast which was very funny and full of the love only he can give.
All in all a great day. And I have to say one of the best things about playing in a pipe band is the sense of fraternity and we have that here. It was also great to meet the wives and girlfriends and get to know each other better. I think I have landed well. Now to get my pipes going again.
View out from the reception


The Inn was this dude's house. But he died.

Nice Martha touch.

I have no idea why I didn't take photo in the reception. That would have been good. Maybe I will get some photos from others. Just imagine drinking, piping, loads more guys in kilts, white man's overbite dancing, great food and a lot of slagging.

1 comment:

Criticlasm said...

OMG! Stony Brook!? I wanted to ask you where the wedding was--crazy! I used to go to Stony Brook, work at the Corner Bookshop in Setauket, and my parents stayed at that same inn when they came to my graduation!