Sunday, November 16, 2008

Spoiler Alert


I always wanted that for a title of a book, essay, something. Catchy, "of the moment," cryptic.

Of course this day I have nothing to spoil. Nothing to announce, so it is purely window dressing and a bit of a cry wolf for when I really want to use it.
I am finding so strongly that these more distinct seasons in the East inform my life in such wonderful, poetic ways. I think differently with leaves falling on the ground around me. I feel differently in my heart when I have to bundle up. I play different music on my ipod when it is raining and cold.

Today I went to a church. Not a Catholic one. I went to a Unitarian Universalist church. I cried a bit in the pew. I could care less admitting it. (Then why did you write that?) The music and the sermon were for me that day. Sometimes when you are searching you "find," and sometimes you "will it." Not sure where I am on that, but it begs investigation. I think if you cry without anticipation you have hit something that needs attention. It is an easy tool. An accurate indicator.

Later I met my friend Ron and we went to Lincoln Center to see "South Pacific." Take away all you know and think about me....it was incredible. How can layers be mined from that musical so many decades later? How can some actors bring something really wonderful to roles that Mitzi Gaynor just skipped delightfully through? Racism, hate, prejudice. And war. And great music with a full orchestra. Really worth seeing. And directed by Bart Sher who was a few years ahead of me at St. Ignatius College Prep. There is a guy to speak to the students.

Ron and I are the same age, with 6 months in his favor. We are middle aged single men meeting on a cold Fall day in New York City to go see this musical at Lincoln Center. We have lunch at O'Neils. We see Bruce Willis there with a young woman that we only know is not one of his daughters by the sexual affection they suggest. I am middle-aged. Single. I go to the theatre. It is Fall.

What is the spoiler alert? I don't know it yet myself. I can only hope there is one.

No comments: