Saturday, November 22, 2008

I Already Live There

"Someday I will go to Bilbao and see the Gehry-designed building." "Someday I will be in London and go to the Tate Modern." "Ah, the Paris Opera. What must it be like?"

It struck me ONCE AGAIN that I am in New York Bleedin' City. THIS is where the Guggenheim Museum is. I live here. I just go to it.

I wonder if this sounds odd to people. I just get struck so often that I live in the city where you just go to Carnegie Hall or the Met or the Statue of Liberty or 5th Avenue or Radio City. I do not need to dream of other places though all have their charms. I am still thrilled and excited by the whole thing that is here in MY city. Sure one pays a fortune to live here, but there is just SO much going for the place. And maybe the star attraction is the people. I love all the people! Oh, and Central Park. I love Central Park with all the people in it. And sometimes not in it.

What brought this all about was my day with my pal Nancy at the Guggenheim. We went on this FREEZING cold day to the top of the spiral to this "Anyspacewhatever" exhibit and lazed on giant stuffed pillows whilst sipping endless cups of Illy cappuccinos (I know, "cappuccini."). It was decadent. And free - Nancy is a member. Then she took me through the permanent collection and "esplained" a lot of the little details as only an art major slash someone who has listened to the headphone tour before can do.

It was wonderful.

I then walked past the Cooper-Hewitt, the Met, the French consulate, and the Neue Gallerie not for any opulence and wonderment thrill, but that just happens to be my way home from the Guggenheim!



Nancy a true blue New Yorker too!

2 comments:

Criticlasm said...

That's a great picture of you!

OMG--LOVE the design museum. And the Jewish museum. And the Frick.

It's like the best mile around, ever.

Lexa said...

Yes, another great pic!