Monday, November 24, 2008

Spare Change


I got to a meeting, I went to the gym and then to a movie. Day became night and those were the events of a day I will never get back. Did I squander? Was I not accomplished enough? No, it was okay really. 

Did I help a small child or a man to eat? Well, no, but I did other things like brush teeth, learn more about my computer, and THINK about stuff. Not real material for an accomplishments list, but like Starbucks coffees, they add up. Don't they? Gosh, I have to rethink.

Aside from not earning a cent to pass on to others, I have no complaints about my day, really. Overall it was great. My workout was hard. I have lost 10+ pounds. I love my gym and I feel good. My meeting was good. I saw people I knew and met some new people. In a town of millions, I have made it a bit smaller.

This evening I took the subway to Rockefeller Center and walked by the skaters and the Germans and the angel statues preparing to get lit. I walked past the scaffolded St. Patrick's and turned the corner onto Madison Avenue.

I went to a screening of "Rachel Getting Married." It was in the plush Sony Screening Room in the Chippendale-inspired Sony Building which I used to walk by on the way to work in the 1980s when it was the AT& T Building. A very posh room in a posh office building on a posh floor. A throwback to glamour where the recession is all but forgotten and people are there to greet you as you step off the elevator through the vault-like doors into a wonderland of plushness.

No drinks were served like  I used to get in the screening rooms on Wardour Street in London back in the day. ("Back in the Day" another blog topic....)

The film was about addiction and family dynamics. It was a little forced in the "We Are the World" vein of colorblind (colorful?) casting and hopefulness for that (Another blog topic) but it was good. Anne Hathaway was excellent as was her sister who was played by Rosemarie DeWitt.   Rosemare DeWitt is one of those actresses that I notice in films and think "She is going to go places."  I am usually right about this. I have a nose for talented actresses ever since my casting days at Fenton Feinberg.  

No comments: