Monday, November 10, 2008

I've Loved You So Long

Dear Reader, I would love this to be a sentiment, but it is a movie. A movie and a sentiment!

Ahhh, Il y a longtemps que je t'aime I say to you in French so it buckles you at the knee. Or maybe that is just you sitting in your seat until the film begins.



Hilary and I went to a screening of this in the Flatiron district (which was perfect as it got to completely out of my Upper Westside ghetto which I love, but I need variety.) The film stars Kristen Scott Thomas. She was really good and the film, though a tough subject matter, is good. KST, I shall call her, did a Q & A afterwards. In the film she shows her age, meaning no make-up, close ups, etc. and she was still beautiful. The woman is beautiful. What a writer for The Observer called a "grown up beauty" and I think that is true. She is just really stunning, but not in that babe on the beach kind of way, but rather that cognac and library kind of way. That starring profile out a window on a bleak day kind of way. That across the lobby at the opera kind of way.
I will stop.
Once again I have dual lives that involve Paris hitting me in my "compare and despair" bread basket. KST is English, lives in Paris and speaks perfect French. And English.

The other day when I started my continuous job hunting process, I somehow happened upon an article about David Tanis and his new book "A Platter of Figs and Other Recipes." Aside from my bitchy thought bubble which was "Crap Title," I read that he spends six months of his year as head chef at Chez Panisse in Berkeley and 6 months in Paris with his partner.


DOH! or DOUGH!


WHY didn't anyone tell ME to that?! There is something I could excel at. Well, the hanging out in Paris part.

Note to self: Find job with 6 months in Paris and 5 months in New York and 1 month wild card.

Extra points: Hang out with David and KST whilst in Paris.

What is this blog entry really about here?

No comments: