Friday, August 14, 2009

Summerstage


During these tough times of hunkering down, doing without and reusing ziploc bags, it is a blessing to be in New York City where there are loads of free things to do.

Tonight I went to SummerStage in Central Park to see Dance Morphoses/The Wheeldon Company with guest Martha Wainwright. I had never seen this dance company before, but the opportunity to see dance for free is not one I want to pass up.

I queued up early to make sure I got in. My mistake is I involved other people in my life! Sometimes I have a tendency to want to do things alone because then "you" are never disappointed! Scary lesson to learn. And now I am very alone! But my friend from London and his cousins wanted to join so I said "SURE! The gates open at 7pm so be there by then and I will be in line with a picnic blanket." They showed up just before 8 and did not get in save for Sunny. I could feel my lip curl in frustration as I have a problem when I get an image of "how things are going to be" and then they don't turn out that way even if I think I have crossed every T and dotted those I's.

Argggggggh.

What to do? I watched a bit, wasn't too rocked by the dance company and then picked up my toys and left. In the dark with vertigo and a bag. Managed out and there was a whole renegade contingent of picnickers who did not get in, dining on a knoll just south of the venue in the park. I joined my tardy team there and we had a great picnic with Martha warbling (she does it wonderfully) in the background. I did not get to see the dance, but we had a GREAT time sitting there under a street lamp on the grass. What a laugh.

Sometimes things are not as I think they should be, but they are always how they are meant to be.

No comments: