Friday, August 21, 2009

NIA

I got back to NIA class tonight. This is a dance/movement technique that isn't religious or political, though like everything else lately, it feels like it could go that way sometimes. But truly it is time away from health care rage, and the president is a Nazi, etc. If I may, I think the US is no longer about free speech, but about rage. And this class is time away from rage. For me it is therapy both physical and mental + joy. Mixed in with another craze, perhaps. But what the heck, it is fun and a good workout.

I had never heard of NIA before I was told about it at the Y. I see it as groovy, Berkeley hippie chick dance, but it is really defined as this:

Dancing Through Life: The Nine Movement Forms of Nia

Martial Arts: T’ai Chi, Tae Kwon Do, Aikido
Dance Arts: Jazz Dance, Modern Dance, Duncan Dance
Healing Arts: Yoga, Alexander Technique, The Teachings of Moshe Feldenkrais®

My teacher, Jayne, is amazing. She just has the goods and the kindness and the groovy energy that gets everyone going. I find that it is hard to "let loose" in public, but she just "allows" you that and I have been a devoted follower ever since! (Oooh, there is that word "follower"!!)

She even took extra time with me because of my vertigo and gave me some yoga techniques to try.

No comments: