Friday, April 24, 2009

My Breakfast with Brian


I just had the most fantastic time this morning.

Nothing remarkable in that we just had breakfast at a diner and yakked, but it was so much fun.

(BTW: Brian had two hard boiled eggs and a bran muffin. I had two poached ON toast and turkey sausage. )

We used to be in a book club in Los Angeles together and now we live mere blocks away in New York City. A few months back we ran into each other at an East Village party (I mention the location as it ups my hip factor, but the fact that I comment on it just lowers it right back. ie "hip replacement" factor. ). We planned to meet up for breakfast on the Upper West Side, and this lovely, sunny full of promise for the weekend day was the day.

We talked about writing which I love talking about (Maybe now I should actually do some of it?), and our friends back in LA and life in NYC. We both love New York and I was inspired to hear why he loves it, which is a good part of why I love it: inspiration.

Plain and simple, New York is an inspiring place. I notice it in the buildings and the trees and the people. I notice it in the friends I have made and the possibilities. I notice it in the theatre and the museums and the delis. I see it in the tourists' faces.

It gets administered in many ways.

*****

Brian is a writer and wrote a lot of TV and has some plays going as well as a full blown musical he is sending out. I wish him great success.

I have to say as if this is some HUGE anecdote, but I guess it is in my life: Brian is the only author of a book I already had on my shelf to actually have been in my apartment. (Think about it, how many authors have you had in your place? See?) I realized this one evening when I hosted book club that he wrote "My Life As a Dog" and I had it in my collection. I made him sign it of course.

(N.B. next time my friend Bob comes over I will have two!)

Great start to the day. The weekend. Thanks, Brian.

No comments: