Tuesday, April 7, 2009

James Toback


I interviewed James Toback tonight for the BAFTA screening of his new doc about Mike Tyson entitled "Tyson." He is a film director and screenwriter who directed "The Pick-Up Artist" among many others and was Oscar-nominated for Best Screenplay of the Warren Beatty-starrer "Bugsy."

I read a lot about him in advance of tonight and as a result thought that we would have NOTHING in common and it was going to be awkward talking about boxing which is a sport I have a difficult time with.

What a GREAT effin' interview. NOT because I was so genius, but because he was so fascinating, engaging, crazy in a good way, and entertaining. He knows how to talk and really was an excellent guest. I have to say I was totally charmed by him and really enjoyed what he had to say.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

WoW! It's Phil here in foggy London town - you just can't stop hobnobbing with the mighty & famous, can you? James Toback has always sounded like a nutcase, but an incredible, fascinating nutcase. If you haven't already seen it, do track down "Black & White" - in which Robert downey Jr plants a smacker on Tyson's chops - and almost gets killed for it - doesn't look like the Killer knew that was coming! It's an astonishing film - bitter, cynical, brutal etc, but fired up with a white-heat intensity. I can imagine JT is pretty much like this in real-life - or I like to think he is! Congrats on your interviewing skills - the stars obviously ask for you by name!