Monday, April 6, 2009

If it's No Scottish, It's Crap

I was in my kilt at another Scottish event tonight to celebrate Scotland Week put on by VisitScotland.com. It was held at the very posh University Club on 5th Avenue. I have walked by this place so many times and wanted to press my nose up against the glass to have a real look at the grand reading room which overlooks 5th Avenue complete with murals on the ceilings which I am sure are called something else besides ceiling murals. Readers?

Well, I got inside and went straight there before I could be booted. It was beautiful.

The party was very nice and very well-attended. They really put on a lovely, lively welcome and attracted loads of business and tourism types. I pitched my Scottish Tourist Board slogan of "Scotland. Come for the Past, Stay for the Present" to the HEAD Scottish Tourist Board chief dude man. I felt he looked at me like a freenly dug cocking his lug. ("lug" is "ear" in Scots BTW) But you wait, I think it is brill!

More smoked salmon. And there was cheese from Scotland and haggis canapes! I kid you not. I loved them. They were so haggisy!

I met a guy who supplies Scottish game to all the finest restaurants in New York.

The gift bag on the way out was full of glossy brochures as one would expect. And a water bottle as one ALWAYS gets in gift bags. Always. Just accept it. Gift bag = water bottle.

But we also got this ball of Soap from the Isle of Islay. I took a crap photo of it, but it says:

Spirited Soaps
Isle of Islay
WHISKY WHIZZER
Packed with nourishing salts, soothing essential oils and Malt Whisky - soak up the Islay spirit!

Now a "Whisky whizzer" seems like something you would take after drinking too much whisky. And who wants to soak in it rather than drink it whilst soaking?

I think I need to give it away.


No comments: