Sunday, April 19, 2009

Joe Turner's Come and Gone


Saw "Joe Turner's Come and Gone" with Bob today at a matinee at the Belasco. How I get to sit where I sit and see what I see and feel what I feel is amazing to me. I am so grateful. Times IS tough and theatre has not made the budget cuts so thank you, Bob, for this.

Bartlett Sher directed this play and adds this to a cap full of amazing feathers: "South Pacific" at Lincoln Center, "Light in the Piazza," "Awake and Sing," "Cymbeline." He is quite a theatre director and, no thanks to me, he went to my high school. He was called Bart then. Perhaps he still is, by his friends.

I loved the play so much. August Wilson seems to be such a lyrical writer and this play really sang about loss, displacement, finding home, and the post-slavery plight of African American's post turn of last century. Great characters and great dialogue.

The sets and staging worked so seemlessly together. I wish there was a YouTube video of the opening when actors effortlessly hit their marks just as a piece of the set comes in or down or up. It was elegant and spiritul, really.

I think if I wrote my own version it would just be whiney. More work ahead...

No comments: