Saturday, April 18, 2009

Green Pastures, Grey Gardens

I've seen the documentary. I've seen the Broadway show. Now I have seen the HBO Special starring Drew Barrymore and Jessica Lange about this odd and sad mother/daughter team living in squalor in the Hamptons.

Just waiting for Disney to release an animated version complete with singing raccoons and dancing cats. I can feel it coming.





Sean and I watched it at his swank West Village pad with the real lights of New York just beyond the flat screen: the city where little Edie Beale dreamt of becoming a singing and dancing star.

It was all really quite good. I have to give the main kudos to a note perfect, multi-faceted performance from Jessica Lange. It was amazing. Drew was good too, but Jessica really hit is out of the park. I enjoyed the whole thing. Quite sad, however.

New York, like Los Angeles, is a city of dreams. It can make you; it can break you. It is no wonder I have lived in both. And I am still waiting for my big moment.

But when I looked at the Beales and I think about my life, I feel very fortunate to live here. And live here as I do.

There is time enough for newspapers piled high and housedresses and loads of cats.

No comments: