Monday, April 13, 2009

Martin Kippenberger at MOMA


Both unemployed people and those selling government secrets tend to hang out at museums during the day. At least I think so. Both myself and my pal Jerry are in the former (and if this goes on any longer maybe in the latter?) group. We met at MOMA in midtown for a walk about and a catch up.

I was SO impressed by the Martin Kippenberger exhibit there. This German artist worked in SO many mediums (media) and produced so much and lived in so many interesting places. Shame he died of liver cancer at 44. But it wasn't too late for me to compare myself and make a whole fantastic exhibit all about my shortcomings (My thought bubble: "Wow, he made all this stuff and lived in Florence and Madrid and Los Angeles and didn't give a damn and did all this stuff ALL before 44 years of age! Damn, what have I done?").

It is that healthy thinking that should restrict me to looking at art of only the aged.

I loved so much of the Kippenberger show and highly recommend it if you are in New York. It is a huge exhibit and there is so much to amuse. I really liked all the art on hotel stationery and many of his large paintings especially "Really Nice Communist Lady" or "Sympathische Kommunistin."



I do have to say I loved my morning with Jerry and MOMA and felt energized overall to continue with what was a busy and rewarding day.

Thank you Jerry and Martin.

No comments: