Sunday, January 6, 2008

Sunday Dusk


I love Sundays. Sunday mornings and days, I mean. My fave day of the week in fact. No longer do I look forward to Saturday nights out. I have gone through "the change." I am into mornings. Another chapter in my never ending book entitiled "IT JUST HAPPENS." Like death and taxes there are certain certainties.

Here are some:

1. Your doctor is going to be younger than you. (CHECK)

2. Your president/prime minister is going to be younger than you. (If Obama wins here I am spared by one year.)

3. You will not recognize any of the artists on the Top 10 Music list. (90% CHECK for me)

4. Things that went out of place on your body in your 30s always went back. In your 40s and beyond, they stay in their new position.

But what I have gained besides lines and inches is Sunday mornings. Coffee. Music. My computer. All at home with light coming through my window. Then a walk with my ipod through the park or along the river. I love it more than 3 aspirin and a stranger in my bed.

Had brunch in the Village with the guys and we had a star sighting. I have had major New York- esque sightings this weekend, in well, New York. First Stiller & Meara at the next table on Friday night and now Annie Liebowitz loading the back of her SUV on Bank Street. Heading to her cool villa upstate that I saw in that HBO special no doubt. It felt like Wild Kingdom as we stealthily approached the side of her vehicle. "Shhh. Steady. Don't disturb the wild life. If we walk slowly and steadily she won't notice us staring at her. These creatures like to be left alone to do what they are doing. Greenwich Village is their watering hole." Of course I was dying for a photo of the famous photog for my blog, but we were just too near and it would be just too rude. I cannot turn into tmz.com. But imagine me with my arm over Annie's shoulder by her SUV on tree-lined Bank Street with quaint Federal-style brick buildings behind us and us both beaming for the camera with one of us just having been at Buckingham Palace having photographed the Queen which resulted in a firestorm and heads rolling at the BBC and the other having just had breakfast. That is my concept for the photo you are not seeing here.

Then there is Sunday night. I have a problem still with that. Sunday Dusk is how I see it. It is not that relaxing Sunday Roast and a Movie thing for me. It is "Ok I have the week ahead and I have to hurry up and relax and get to bed and get up early and really make it happen this time" feeling. Much different than walking through Sheep Meadow listening to Vivaldi hours earlier. One daypart at a time, I suppose.

1 comment:

Criticlasm said...

It's okay you didn't get her picture. She almost sank the neighborhood and that entire building on Bank Street by knocking out the supports in basement and doing renovations without a permit. When I lived there there were giant stays holding the building up. So you did your civic duty by ignoring her. You live in New York now--hold a grudge. :)