Thursday, January 17, 2008

Category: Wet and Fun

Here is Poppa's tip for today: Get proper sleep and go out for sushi at lunch hour. Oh and have your whole office go to Park City, UT all at once so you can get some work done. This is the groundwork for a fulfilling life. Almost grandmotherly advice: "Honey, if I can leave you with three thoughts: Sleep, Sushi, Park City, UT." I have to say I was so happy today for those 3 reasons. Sleep has eluded me in the City that Never.

When I left the office at an hour that was fair and balanced it was SLEETING! I remember that word from the post office code, but not from my own climatically-pampered life in California. As I hoisted my tattered $5.99 umbrella with its broken spokes and forlorn droop, I thought, "How exciting is this wet and freezing madness?! I love it!" And then I pondered " What is the appropriate music to play on my i-pod?"


Tortilla "crisps" and HP?!!
Tonight I had a destination. I was helping out at the BAFTA East Coast Pub Quiz Night at the Telephone Bar in the East Village. This place has three iconic red British telephone boxes on the outside and plenty of pints and fried foods of the Anglo-Saxon gods on the inside. It was a perfect venue and we had a huge turnout despite the weather. The quiz went so well. Marc did a great job as Quiz Master and Lisa was the brains behind the whole event. And then there was me. We had great categories, prizes and just a great time.



Marc working the room.




Lisa. Always keeping score!



One of the things that excites me most in life for some reason is getting people to meet each other. And at the quiz night strangers were on teams together and because of the set up had "license" to talk! My true delight will be when they say hello to each other at future events. It rocks my world. People often need an entrée to talk to each other like a dog, or a t-shirt with writing on it or a book. If you aren't reading a "The Kite Runner" in public or aren't wearing a t-shirt that says "The Prickly Pear Pub, Mesa, AZ" or walking a beagle, then you better get to a pub quiz night is my advice. The Three Pubquizzateers!

No comments: