Wednesday, January 16, 2008

My Travels in the East - Fun Times!


Back in my LA days (about 4 months ago) when I was asked to meet up or do anything that was anywhere more than 20 minutes from my house, I felt put out. Just too far and inconvenient in the comfort of my Audi with stereo and heated seats and sun roof. But on the island of Manhattan, a new place, a distant shore, is a welcomed adventure. And all on filthy, germ-laden, personal-space-invading public transport.


Last night I was meeting a colleague from LA whom I only knew via e-mail at a pub in the deepest darkest, outerest, Upper East Side. The OLD me (and probably, eventually a new me) would bristle, eye-roll, heavy sigh and pile on the put out self-importance of, well, me. But the present me thinks: "Cool. A new line! A new neighborhood!" I work on the westside of midtown and this was in the Eastiest of the upper east where public transport is more frowned-upon. I descended many, many stairs practically from my building to take the E train to 53rd and Lex. Then I went through this massive gauntlet, this rabbit warren of humanity, underground to get to the 6 train. This transfer on foot was a journey in itself. There are people coming at you in all directions going to other platforms and with seperate agendas. But there is a flow and you jump into the current and ride it out until you are dumped onto the 6 platform. I forgot to mention it is KEY to have an i-pod where this is all set to music. I was into The Clash's "London's Calling," but some Phillip Glass or bagpipe music would have worked as well.


I took the 6 up to 86th and Lex and headed east. For blocks. I could have taken the bus, but I wanted to see what there was here. "Wow, Barnes and Noble and ATT & T stores like everywhere else on this blinkin' planet." As I mentioned before I have this idea that people look different in the East, but that could just be my imagination. I finally got to 85th and York. Yes, York. When you are no longer on a numbered or famously-named Avenue, you know you are far, far away. ("York" is a funny word when you just look at the configuration of the letters without the "New" in front of it or the connotation of some quaint Roman baths attached.)


We met, it was a success. I headed back West on foot and then bus, through the park to the Upper West Side. It was good to be out of the woods and back to my pen.

No comments: