Sunday, January 20, 2008

Special Son-in-Law


Bitter cold today. Again, I mocked the ear muffs, but they are lifesavers with the windchill. Vanity exits where survival enters. At least with me.

Last night I got to meet up for dinner with my sister Seona's in-laws. It feels so distant to write it that way because I feel so much that they are my family as well. I think I will make them my in-laws too! Clay and Barbara and Gail, their daughter. Clay is in town for an engineering convention and Barbara and Gail smartly came along! It was great as always to see them and despite the cold we managed down the block to a pub for dinner. Just in time for the Giants vs. Packers game to start so it wasn't quiet!

I have this emotional connection to them because they have known me for years and years and have always been so wonderful to me. When you cast the film version I am only "brother of sister-in-law" which is not a leading role and really the cause of no major plot points. Usually he is the surly one always in a dinner jacket with a martini glass making bitter asides in scenes 2, 5 and is in the background at the big final scene. That is all. Well, they don't make me feel that way and I don't feel that way about them in my movie.

I ask for no one's acceptance, but I do appreciate their genuine kindness. And this is what they give. When I think about all of our weddings and baptisms and anniversaries and funerals they have attended I am truly and deeply grateful for them. Of course they would attend their own son Jeff's wedding to my sister, but they have been there for it all! And through it all. With us. And I guess with my parents gone I know in some way they are there.

I got to play bagpipes at Clay's mom's funeral a few years back and it was an honour. And then to go to Clay and Barbara's 50th wedding anniversary party at the Madonna Inn in California was just great. My whole family was there and it was a great celebration. And I guess today I celebrate them and my good fortune that they are in my life.

No comments: