Friday, January 4, 2008

Friday Night Lights


On the crowded subway commute home a giant of a guy with a huge S & P beard, wrapped in layers of a white wool scarf above a fortress of an overcoat and donning a wool cap from the Dr. Seuss Collection cried out to all of us in the car "I declare this seat on behalf of the Queen of Spain!" And then he sat down. I thought he was doing this for his friends and then I realized he had no friends. This was driven home when he cleared his space by going nuts about Wall Street and all the money grubbers and the corrupt government. Further down the car 3 kids were jive dancing while the rest of us had our ear buds in and were all pretending collectively to be oblivious. At that moment I knew I was hooked. This is the town for me.


I need strangeness in my life. Let me correct that, I want strangeness in my life. I like color and a little chaos. Just a tad, thank you. But I want to be an observer, perhaps an occasional participant, but I stop short of wanting a knife plunged in my chest.


I went to dinner with my landlords tonight. They took me out to dinner for the holidays! How nice is that! They are the nicest guys and I really feel blessed to have landed where I did. We went to our corner restaurant. Literally. I had the pork chops with figs and the roasted beet salad. Doesn't that just sound...right? At the next table were Anne Meara and Jerry Stiller with their daughter Amy. I guess Amy lives two doors down. My landlords were chatting with them afterwards and this is what I gleaned. A neighborhood/neighborly star-sighting! This and borrowing-sugar distance from next door neighbor, Chirstopher Walken, warms a recent LA transplant's heart.


It was a great night and I was so happy to be home and warm and safe having been OUT THERE. I love OUT THERE knowing that I have HERE to be afterwards. That is the trick.


No comments: