Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Rock and Roll and Nod


Went to see Tom Stoppard's "Rock and Roll" at the Jacobs Theatre on W. 45th Street. After an 11 hour day and not being up on my Prague Spring and the Communist movement in the UK more than I want to admit, the dark theatre and the intellectual wordiness of Stoppard lulled me to sleep. I think I love the theatre more than most things, but it is also a dark warm place that can put my flat out. An 8pm curtain is usually the first time I have stopped all day. Brutal combo. And I go right into dreaming so I have no clue I am asleep.

I managed to get it together relatively quickly and enjoyed the rest. He used loads of Pink Floyd music which reminded me so deeply of my brother Sean. Sean was a huge Pink Floyd fan and I wonder if he still listens. I have to thank him for the exposure to Pink Floyd and Black Sabbath and Jethro Tull. I really learned a lot musically from being Sean's brother. I like all those bands now, though I was not supportive then. And my knowledge of Roger Waters and Syd Barrett was helpful tonight. Sort of like the pay off of being raised Catholic for studying literature or art except I still like being Sean's brother.

It is amazing when I am watching a play and I no longer think of actors on stage, but have totally given over to them as the people they are playing. I think it happens more in film for me for some reason, but tonight I had no thought to it being Brian Cox or Sinéad Cusack or Rufus Sewell up there. Amazing performances.

I go to sleep now.

No comments: