Thursday, January 24, 2008

The Lights are Bright


Went out to dinner in midtown. These New Yorkers are EVERYWHERE! I still marvel at how restaurants are busy and theatres are busy and streets and groceries are busy. LIFE is everywhere here and I love it. But there was something about being in midtown in the 50s (a seemingly desolate place post work) grabbing a meal with friends and then stepping out on to the street and seeing the lights that read: "RADIO CITY" ablaze down the block and walking back home along the park that made me take notice. It is a thrill that I have not felt in a long while. It is that feeling of happiness and connectedness and awe that everyday life can often rob. Perhaps we give it away because we don't allow ourselves to be sparked? Or perhaps it is a feeling that "just happens" when it happens. I feel it many places. It is that "pinch me" thing. I felt it at the Hollywood Bowl and being on the field at the World Pipe Band Championships in Glasgow and looking up Clay Street from my work in San Francisco and seeing the buildings of Chinatown. I felt it at the Sundance Film Festival in Park City last year. I felt it surrounded by friends and family many, many times. I felt it at my mum's last Christmas at my brother's house even though I didn't know. Recently I felt it at my garage sale in LA with my pals.


So tonight I am home and I have no idea what is ahead and I fear, but I "felt it" and that keeps me in check.

No comments: