Saturday, January 19, 2008

Keep Coming Back Little Sheba


210 lbs. / 15 Stone (lost 6.6 lbs. this week mostly from dancing on taxis)

Wow. Back at Weight Watchers. In January. How original. The month of the packed gyms, packed 12 Step rooms and packed weight loss centers. No time like the present to act on a good intention.

We have this leader, Hal. Probably the best Weight Watchers leader I have ever had. He just knows how to deal with people and specializes in cranky menopausal women. This is a gift. I notice that I just want to tell people what they should do. Hal is smoother than this. He knows how to listen, respect the person's feelings and talk them out of the pantry. I have seem him take some old bird from "I have been eating my own baking for 40 years and I am just not going to give that up" to getting her to visualize an apple without always struedelizing it. That is talent. Why this man is not talking people off ledges or diffusing hostage situations instead of getting people to count points is somewhat of a waste, but there are a lot of 100lb weightloss folks in his groups. He is doing good. And in an unassuming, Southern gentleman Fred Astaire way rather than a Come On Down Tony Robbins way.

After, I was standing outside the Fairway Market on Broadway looking almost 7lbs lighter when my friend Brian walks by with his partner and their two dogs. He gives me a quick friendly waive like we borrow sugar from each other or talk over the fence weekly. I had not seen him in about a year and that was in LA! It was more like crashing into your high school lab partner in Tibet. Okay, I exaggerate. He said he reads my blog on occasion and just thinks we see each other. The downside of cyberfame. It was nice to chat to them and it turns out we are somewhat neighbors in the UWS. Again, the Big Apple is really a small town.

My friend Tom took me to see the Saturday matinee of "Come Back Little Sheba" at the Manhattan Theatre Club. This production stars S. Epatha Merkerson from "Law and Order" fame. So much of the city is tied to "Law and Order." If "Law and Order" and "Sex and the City" had a baby it would be called Manhattan. This William Inge play is one of those plays I think I have seen either in stage or movie form. I had seen neither. I really thought it held up because human pain and longing and loss is timeless. Unfortunately. And closeted tortured alcoholic playwrights who kill themselves know of what they speak. Feeling that deep pain and longing from the actors in a play written circa 1950 is really a tribute to the writer, the director and the actors. I would have thought this play was a creaky chestnut, but I am really glad I got to see it. And 1950 is not that long ago, I suppose, since Shakespeare still manages to get his points across in a pretty timeless fashion. The director and William Inge's nephew spoke after. Well worth sticking around for.

No comments: