Wednesday, January 20, 2010

A View From the Bridge

Went with my friend Ellie to see Arthur Miller's "A View From the Bridge" at the Cort Theatre today.  It stars Scarlett Johannsson and Liev Schreiber.   I had heard so so things about it and was thus not expecting much. But I have to say I was thoroughly engrossed.   The play is from 1955 and touched on themes I had not expected.

And Scartlett in the Julia Roberts Comes to Broadway Role of 2010 does a really good job.  You don't think "movie star" when you are watching the play.

I had never seen Liev Schreiber on stage before and he was that character.  All the actors are good. 


Did not like the fake blond hair on the blond brother whose hair is vital to the play and (**SPOILER ALERT?**) Liev kisses him which you know was not in the original script and it just rings so wrong for the character though you know it is an interesting idea.   But still.

All in all I thought it was very good.  And it send "Present Laughter" packing IMO.

No comments: