Saturday, January 30, 2010

Aruba

 

"The Dutch West Indies"

it sounds like something from a grammar school history class about trade and the Europeans and the "New World."  All those hours sitting in beloved Mrs. Gervais' class and I never thought I would be here.  I was not the boy who dreamt if island adventures and pirates, but here I am and I love it.  We are 15 miles north of Venezuela.   In fact. Aruba was originally called "Venezuela" or "Little Venice" by none other than Amerigo Vespucci who got "America"  named after him not to mention landing a big number in "West Side Story" to boot!  Eventually "Venezuela" went to, well, Venezuela and Aruba was named after a nail polish color or something. Not sure.

But here we are indeed. In Aruba today.   And it was lovely. I think it was one of my favorites islands.  Just a vibe, I guess.

We went to Palm Beach and went swimming.  Simple and perfect. Not alot to report different that the rest of our island visits.  But much happiness with all our friends on board and how de do's everywhere we go.  Feels like New York City to me in that way!

No comments: