Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Wednesday in Studio 54 with Ron







Today was a blur at work in anticiapation of going to Studio 54 with Ron to see the London revival production of "Sunday in the Park with George." I saw the original in 1984 when I LAST lived in New York. I bought an orchestra ticket back then which was a big splurge. Have no idea how much but thinking about $40. Worth every penny to see Mandy Pantinkin and Bernadette Peters originate the roles of George and Dot. I even queued at Sam Goody's afterwards where Steven Sondheim, Mandy and Bernadette signed my record album.


I had never been to Studio 54 before. Heydey or otherwise. Admittedly I have been fascinated with the Liza/Halston era of the place and could feel the ghosts of the 70's there. It is a beautiful place and once again restored to a theatre.


The revival had some excellent technical updates and the cast were mostly good, but I just was not moved or carried over like I was the first time. The second act was better because Mandy did have a little too much anger in his performance about how much an artist has to do to get his work seen. Take a number, "Mandy as George".


Ron and I ate at a diner on the Upper Westside after the show. I had soup and poached eggs with spinach. Isn't that a genius order? I love the diner culture in New York. The people are nice, the places have good grub and they are open at all hours. So much to love.

No comments: