Saturday, February 9, 2008

A Walk in the Park

15,551 Steps

208.8 lbs./14.9 Stone

15,551 Steps


Today was one of those driech New York days, all drizzly and grey. The kind of day that makes my heart sing and my soul feel nourished. I wouldn't want this all the time, mind you, but sometimes it is just perfection. Today was that for me.

I took a walk in my beloved Central Park. Just a wander for an hour or so. It is like Napa Valley in California to me: one of those places that is beautiful no matter what the weather. I ended up across the park on the Upper East Side. There I wandered into Lascoff's Pharmacy at Lexington and E 82nd, the first licensed pharmacy in New York State. It is very old style and still has many of the original bottles and mixtures on display. There are wooden drawers in the walls and an old leather couch to sit upon. I felt like there was magic in there. And there better be when bars of soap are priced at $11.50. If I ever get insurance I am filling my prescriptions here. I think J.K. Rowling would like it here as well.


The Upper East Side is a whole different beast. There are precious children's clothing boutiques, ladies who get coiffed in fancy salons, and gourmet everything. This is a world where money is no object and people have places in the country. Or in other countries.


I got a coffee at Dean and Deluca on Madison Av3nue. That place always cracks me up. The prices are so crazy. Tangerines are priced by "each" and not by the pound. The cupcakes (again with the cupcakes, why is New York so mad for cupcakes?) are labeled by their various bakeries like wines or cheeses would be by their regions. They are around $5 a cupcake and a donut is around $3. People are paying these prices. They have to be. I got a coffee which was perhaps the most reasonable thing in the place. Maybe they see it as a Dean and Deluca "entry drug" and before you know it your caffeinated self is buying Cornish Game Hens at $20 a piece.

I took my java elixir and meandered back across the park past the Met and the Jackie O Pond to the Upper West Side where everything is of normal expensiveness.
I want to be in the picture. Me at the Jackie O Reservoir

The walk and the rain were free.

No comments: