Tuesday, February 19, 2008

"New York. It Shits AND You Pay a Lot of Money for It"

Met a guy at a function tonight who couldn't understand why I would move from LA to New York. He had lived in Santa Monica for four years about 9 years ago. He came back for job and family. He said he wanted to have t-shirts designed that read: "New York. It Shits AND You Pay a Lot of Money for It." It was hard to argue with a native and being so new I am easily dismissed as still in my honeymoon phase. And, this, of course, is very true. But I have talked to many, many longtime residents here and I have never heard any group of people be still in love with their city as much as New Yorkers. Stubborn pride, maybe, but many of them are not natives and do not have that level of ownership. Like for me, San Francisco will always, always be home no matter where I go in the world. And I wouldn't have it any other way. Anymore.

Yes, I am in my honeymoon phase. I have not been tested except for when I was first arrived in town and was dropped off by the cabbie 8 blocks from where my flat was and I had 300 lbs of luggage and a set of bagpipes. Oh and the mice in my apartment who were eating my food and not paying rent. But I have not been through the worst of weather. That will be summer I am sure. And I still have employment and a flat. These are both temporary. So the bowels of this city may just be gurggling for me yet. But the buildings and the parks and the rivers and bridges will all be here and that gives me comfort. Columbus Circle will still invite me to look up. And Broadway will still invite me to look down. And I can spin in Grand Central and caffeinate in the Village and illuminate at St. Pat's and ambulate across the Brooklyn Bridge and stroll up 5th Avenue and ferry for free to Staten Island and pay a buck at the Met for one of the best collections in the world and sit in the park and see the guy with the bird on his head.

Sure is shits and costs a lot of money, but you get what you pay for. If it's what you want to buy.

2 comments:

Criticlasm said...

And you find what you look for. You'll find people who hate/romanticize any city you live in--that's their schtick. I had so many people tell me awful things about LA in NY, most of whom had never even been here. You are where you are, and that's awesome.

And when you meet someone like that say, "Then move". Then you'll be a real New Yorker :)

Sounds more like his T-shirt should read "I like to shit and sit in it". Hee. And Ew.

Tony Westbrook said...

Negative breeds negative. You are what you eat! Ewww.

LA can be soul sucking, but so can any big city, if you don't have a good support group.

Cuz you gotta have friends, and they make the world go round, and that's LOVE!

Whereever you go there you are!