Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Pipes, Precipitation and Pottering.


A great day in Gotham. I got up and puttered with coffee, music and light coming through the window. I had no true agenda and it was fantastic. The first order of the day was to get my pipes into shape. I had my first band practice with the Monaghan Pipe Band tonight. I fixed up my pipes and worked on the music on the chanter. It was a staggering 65 degrees out so I decided to go play pipes in the park as I did a while back before it got super cold.

The air outside was humid and the smell reminded me of Scotland. This could only mean rain.

The park is a magical place to me and I love playing there. I have a spot that I usually go to but there was a guy sleeping on a rock with his head resting on a milk crate so I decided to give him his space.

I went down this lane a bit and played there. The sky was getting black. The Heavens opened. There were two women watching me with their umbrellas and wellie boots. As it just bucketed rain I kept playing while they danced in the lane with their umbrellas over their heads. Pure joy for me. They had a dance, I had a tune and we waived goodbye as I packed up and got out of the onslaught.



I took the #1 train tonight to the end of the line in the Bronx. Byrne the P/M picked me up and I went to Something, Something Kelly Something Pub where we practice. Yes, we practice in a bar. Well, the posh banquet hall of a pub, actually. I met a lot of the guys and we had practice. I got some uniform parts and a pipe bag cover that says "Monaghan Pipe Band - New York City." How cool is that?

And St. Pat's season is just around the corner. I will be busy.

No comments: