Monday, February 25, 2008

Once Upon a Time There Was This Daily Occurance to Be Had


Another Monday in Gotham. Another glorious, That Girl/MTM Monday in New York City.


I walked to work again along the park. The snow is still on the ground and it all looks amazing. The sun reflects off the windows and walls of the Maybe I Will Live There Someday apartment buildings on Central Park West. The tall buildings of 59th Street and below jut up dramatically just beyond the trees as if they are this magnificent destination - waiting. Joggers and dogs and coffee drinkers and little old ladies and bundled kids and statues and regal street lamps and town cars. Just for this incredible morning moment, just now, I live in a fairytale. There may even be a big bad wolf lurking in the park, but New York's finest are patrolling the beat as one would expect. This whole stretch of my day, my life, is from a perfectly illustrated 1950's children's book.


I am not naive. I am not gullible. I know that those tall buildings beyond the park shelter homeless in their doorways and protect the haves upstairs. I know people are stabbed and hit by cars and there is probably a guy with a needle in his arm somewhere on a bench strung out. But for this moment in time on the way to the office I am captivated. I am awakened and mystified and honored and challenged and happy. Every day there is at least one bright shining moment. And it is real too.

1 comment:

easca said...

Thanks for today's blog about real beauty. I had a 'real moment' of beauty today as well. When I collected the newspaper on my doorstep in San Francisco this morning at 6:30am, the sky was pink in the east and the birds were busy fussing through their rush hour. It was gorgeous. But I wanted my coffee and rushed myself off the porch and into the kitchen. After seated with the paper and my coffee I realized my mistake. I returned to the front door and took in the morning one more time before the pink sky disappeared. If only I could capture that hour and return there at will. There is no other time as precious as the early morning - and it was real. No strings attached.