Friday, February 1, 2008

Oh, hey February. I didn't see you come in.

February. It is the "Tuesday" of Months - just there to hold more significant months together. It is bleak and a little souless. Thank God it is short. I know this is probably unfair and the February Tourist Board would be up in arms at me saying so. "Hey! Hey! Over here! We are the only month that changes our size." That is very unique. (And typical of needy attention seekers.) In fact this year it is bigger. I know this for a fact as "2/29/08" is blaringly stamped in RED on my ID badge as the last day of my employment.

It is the birthday month of many truly significant friends in my life. Many. It holds the quirky "Ground Hog Day" which I kind of dig for its silliness and regional quality and its pagan earth vibe. And it houses St. Valentine's Day, but that has to be one of the worst, most unholy holidays going. It is a box of bitten-into wax chocolates and not nearly as sexy as something that even April could whip up.

Here are some of Feb's special attributes:

American Heart Month
An Affair to Remember Month
Black History Month
Canned Food Month
Creative Romance Month
Great American Pie Month
National Cherry Month
National Children’s Dental Health Month
National Grapefruit Month
National Weddings Month

Canned Food Month. That's says it all.

All in all February is a time to get your socks darned and to buy floss. Or have something removed.

No comments: