Saturday, February 2, 2008

How I Skipped Weight Watchers but Managed to Magnolia Bakery


Felt sick this morning. More Weltschmerz mixed with a runny nose and sneezing. Just plain worn out. I skipped Weight Watchers even though my dream all week was to get on that scale and notice some really small number. I just couldn't pull off a crowded room with all my sneezing. I wonder how many "activity points" sneezing is?

I watched movies for work and lay on the couch. This was okay, but now that I am a full time Monday - Friday worker, I really value my two days off and want to make the most of them. There are parks out there and rivers to walk along, and arches to walk under and museums of every stripe, but I knew it was wise to stay put.

Met Nancy at the Loews cinema by Lincoln Center later in the afternoon to see "There Will Be Blood." I like to call it "Like Water for Oil" or "Blood for Chocolate" because it is one of those titles that just does not stick with me. Daniel Day Lewis is indeed excellent. Very good flick. I enjoyed it.

Sean and Mark and I went to dinner at City Grill this evening and then took a walk to Magnolia Bakery. They have opened one on the Upper West Side now. I find it funny, but I get it, that so many of the hot downtown or Village spots have annexes up on the Upper West Side so "we" don't have to venture too far for hipness. This is similar to when the westside in Los Angeles would open outposts of (use both hands with the both index and middle fingers to make "quotes") "ethnic" hotspots of downton LA and beyond. Safety and convenience.

It was great to break cupcake with friends and hang out. Funny how my life has changed from out at bars and late nights to cupakes and lights out at 10. How did this happen? But, wait, I am not boring, I am sick! Give me a break. I work for a living.

1 comment:

Criticlasm said...

Magnolia on the UWS? Sacrilege!