Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Lentils are Key

6964 Steps




Dined at a diner on the Upper West Side with a friend tonight. The ground was wet outside. We were right by the windows. I had lentil stuffed cabbage and veg. More fiber than one cares to talk about. There were waiters in white cloth aprons around their waists and a Greek man wearing a white shirt and black vest at the register. It was all very New York to me. Probably to anybody. We had a great conversation. There were maybe some writers mentioned, maybe not. But talk of loss and life mixed with funny stories. The place was sparsely populated. Maybe a Christmas decoration still up. Maybe not. The girl at the next table pretended to read, but was listening. The spinning deli case of desserts was to my back. It revolved, I didn't. We walked out into the night. Charlie grabbed a cab, I walked home after grabbing some apples from the grocer on the corner. I had Texas on my i-pod. It was all very Edward Hopper to me.

No comments: