Saturday, October 13, 2007

The Whole Package

8738 Steps



I have now finished my second week of work. Today I started trying to do all the scheduling myself. Even though I had taken notes, listened to the professor and even created my own Procedures Manual with Step-by-Step instructions suitable for the brown-throated three-toed Sloth, there was serious blankage once the blue book was handed out. I felt panic. As if I absorbed nothing. I was a grasshopper sans pebble. Finally I decided to leave the building as if that would clear my head. It was like the murderer was right there on the page, but I could not see it. Very important to step away and regroup. I did talk to my very pregnant scheduling master and like the zen-mama she is, she set me back on a path. Whew.

Brian sent me a package which arrived at my office yesterday in midtown Manhattan. (I like to write the location because it still sounds so cool to me!). It was a care package from the Pacific Northwest! How wonderful is that?! I was so touched. Summer Sausage and couscous and a sleeping mask and photos from camping on Angel Island and Halloween Candles among many other things...and all wrapped up like a fish supper in the Seattle Times. Thank you, Brian!!!

1 comment:

EAMBRE said...

At my work, I am tasked with writing the global user manual for the application I helped develop. So, we are at opposite ends of the spectrum: I know my job very well and you are just learning your job. We are documenting what we know and what we need to know. Both efforts are challenging and sometimes tedious. However, I have rarely looked back at the words that piled up and became something useful as painful. As 'over my job' as I sometimes am, the achievement of something useful is always exhilarating. Keep up the good work. This IS your baby.