Friday, October 5, 2007

Week 1: The Early Years

It was just a week ago I took my surfboard off the playa and said goodbye to my moondoggies and gidgets and headed East for turtleneck sweaters and talks on things, not about things.

I cannot say if it has been a long week or short one. I will need a few more to have some perspective. But I finished a week of work and it was fine. I am tired and I am ready for the weekend like every other drone across the country. This office 9-5 (8-7 in my case this week) is new again for me. But I am so happy to be doing something and be involved in something. I guess I have a hard time being new at something. But I busted my butt and made some progress. Day One I didn't think I could get the hang of the job because I was overwhelmed by all the bits and pieces and Day Two I wanted to skip the position all together and be in charge of the whole channel! Day 3 I got on track and got into what I was doing. Now at Day Five I have written a first draft of a procedures manual and scheduled out the whole month of December for a first pass. All ready for Monday. I just have to watch some programs over the weekend and rate them.

And forget about turtlenecks. It is 11pm and people are out in shorts. It is warm and humid. Loads of couples walking and dining al fresco. I only see couples on the Upper Westside. It is a thing. Couples and students and me. Couples and students and older people and me. Couples and students and older people and young joggers and kids going to school and me. Couples and students and older people and young joggers and kids going to school and guys like me and me. Okay everyone is up here.

Well week one in NYC was pretty great. I am thrilled to be here and I love my place and I am starting to adjust to my new school.

I was even going to go to the Westside Y tonight, but I could not find my tennis shoes! I think they did not make the final cut of my packing. WHAT was I thinking? I want to work out so badly! They got tossed for weight. Weight that I have now gained!

Enough tonight. I am going to chill. It is 11pm and I have the door to the patio open and the fan on. Chill....

Oh, in the category of "You can take the boy out of LA..." I was on my phone with my soulmate Jan and I was walking through Columbus Circle and passed by the Warner whatever. There were limos and red carpets and photogs. I felt right at home. I was standing waiting to cross and was standing right next to Harvey Weinstein. A limo came and a supermodel got out. I think this was the premier of the Bob Dylan movie. Cate is in town I know for a fact! So that was my little H'wood moment.

No comments: