Sunday, October 14, 2007

LA Has The 99 Cent Only Store and All We Have is The Met

22,493 Steps




It is a funny thing... Wait, first I wanna say I am going to say YOU, but I mean ME, but maybe I mean YOU, but I can't speak for, well, YOU, so I mean ME, but I feel more comfortable in the "YOU form."

You know how you sit around for maybe years and wish things were different and say/think things like "If I was only in France this would be way better." Or "If there were two of those and they were fried and not steamed and I was with a LOVER that I really LOVED and I was twelve pounds lighter and had even skin and my job was really highly coveted (by others) and I was just published but didn't talk about it and the whole thing was in FRANCE, then I would finally be able to...blah, blah, blah." Am I alone here?

Well, I was in LA for years and thought how much I wanted some change in my life. And how LA just didn't make me feel that feeling. As many of you know, the walls of my apartment were closing in on me in the last few years and it felt like a cave, but it was MY cave and I stayed there frozen for long past my due date because it was a familiar cave and I felt safe, if uninspired, there. But still I wanted change. But not on my watch. Oh my God, am I going to say/write..."I wanted to be rescued."? Wow, I just wrote it.

So here I got this job in New York City and in 14 days I totally change my life and I feel SO great and no buyer's remorse and I have that smirk that one only gets when they have just had sex with a new person (the cat just did the canary) and have yet to tell the story to a friend or when they have just moved to a place where they feel awake and alive and completely sold?

So what is my point? I mean YOUR point?

Well, I have these moments in New York where I THINK/say things like "The launderettes are small and why don't they have bigger ones...ready for it?... like in LA with chairs and some light?" Or "$7.49 for a 1/2 gallon of Dryers Ice Cream?! [N. B. They call their Dryers, "Edy's" BTW.] It is usually on sale for $2.50 in LA. How can I ever afford this closeted addiction I have, here in this town? This is ridiculous." My biggest thing surprisingly is HEFTY One Zip storage bags. I LOVE them. All sizes, all uses. I just love them. I like the ones with the zipper pull thing. And it amazes me they, whoever they are, did not invent them like in the 70's when we just had the flimsy ones with the fold over flap. I mean what technology still lay ahead that prevented their invention until late, late into the last century? These are strong and you can keep coins in them, or a sandwich or cut a small hole in a corner and ice a cake. So I would get these all the time at the 99 Cent Only Store by my house in LA. I knew they were there and they were plentiful. Here one small box of bags cost me $2.49 or $2.99. I can't remember exactly because I just choked. But it is like triple. Just to drive this home, it costs the same for 3 Angelino children to enjoy a sanitary, airtight sandwich for their school lunch, as it does for only one New York child. Can this be going on? I may as well eat at a French restaurant every noon during the week at this rate.

Don't even get me started on Trader Joe's and how there is like only one on this island and it it just a zoo.

Breathe. release. Breathe. release.

"I embrace change and all the new energy that comes with it and I am a child of God and loved by the Great Spirit and my needs are all met."

Whether they are sealed safely in a HEFTY One Zip Storage Bag or not.

Ohmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMiwbd_EjWE

2 comments:

Robin Palmer said...

OMG -- I love this post! If I told you how many resentments I've built up against Gristedes because they don't have club card savings like Ralph's...

Criticlasm said...

Okay. As much as I would love the 99C stores to bring you back to LA, the reality is they are in NY, just not in your neighborhood. The video is apt.

I think there's on on 14th street. I know there was one around the corner from my apartment on 200th where I could also by Santeria candles. You might also try the super K-Mart at Astor place. There are bargains outside of the upper west side. You're living in the burbs--shop in the city! :) I'm trying to think if I know of a 99cent store on the UWS, but I'm not coming up with anything. You'll find it, though.