Sunday, October 7, 2007

New York Social Whirl - I love it!

Let's just get this out of the way first. I got a new battery for my pedometer and here is Saturday's recording: 17,979 steps!

My blisters and I got home around midnight last night and people were still wearing tank tops and shorts. It has been so warm here that Central Park is a virtual beach. Someone told me that the beaches have been opened and there are lifeguards on them. Global Warming to be sure. It is all kind of creepy when you think about it. But enough of ending in fire rather than ice...I had a fantastic day yesterday!

Morning Glamour

Met my pal John from my LA bookclub and his partner John for breakfast. They are bi now. Coastal. John non bookclub is gettig his masters theatre management/producing at Columbia which sounds amazing. I am so jealous, but I will not show it. I think it is fantastic and he is a really nice guy. And John Book Club works on the East Coast so this whole thing has worked out great for them. And me because we are neighbors. I love that they are here and I hope I get to see them often.








We ate a great place they recommended called Good Enough to Eat on Amsterdam. It was good and quite popular. While waiting in line for the Johns I chatted to Marjorie in SF all New York self-involved like. There was a parade coming down the street of something about Mary. Couldn't figure it out, but who doesn't love a parade?

















And if you look by John on your left's ear in the photo, Alicia Witt who played Cybill Sherperd's daughter on "Cybill" and was in "Mr. Holland's Opus" with my friend Alexandra was sitting right there. But not by the time this photo was taken. You will have to trust me on this. I have a keen LA eye for such things. And "No makeup and a hat" should get you extra points. I also noticed a lot of plaid one-piece preppy summer dresses and turned up polo shirt collars on guys. I hated the trend when it first blew through in the 80s and do not like that it is back. Mr. Blackwell in a wrinkled t-shirt and saggy ass jeans has spoken!

Chores

Now it was time for chores as I WORK ALL WEEK! So funny to say really. Hmmmm. Laundry and trash. Trash you just bag up and through under the front stairs. There is a black metal door that faces the street. Inside are just heaps of trash bags. Done. Where is the recycling? It is amazing how much garbage this island produces. And the carting off of cardboard boxes from grocery stores is a whole process. I digress.

Trash. Done. Now laundry. I have a small box of Tide and a roll of quarters. The launderette is a block away. It is awfully cramped and the machines are all taken. "75 cents a pound for Wash and Fold?" Laundry is done like that. (I have to go pick it up today as I didn't have it delivered. Pain." With all this free time I can go and buy proper training shoes. I have that plantar fasciitus and it is killing me at the moment. I was told proper trainers help such things. I went to the Super Runners Shop on Amsterdam by my place. I discovered I am now a size 13 shoe! They didn't have my size and I WANTED THEM NOW so I called the shop on 72nd and 3rd and they had my size. I walked across the park and chatted with Scott who was loading his dishwasher in Huntington Beach. At the place on 3rd I met Rob a former runner. He was so great. He thought the shoes I wanted were all wrong for me. He brought out a bunch of shoes and he even made me go out on Third Ave. and run down the block and back in a pair! And here is the kicker: he told me not to buy the shoes today and to just do these exercises he gave me for my heel pain. I did buy inserts which he said could help too. These were $110 shoes and he passed up the sale and advised me instead. I will go back to Rob on 3rd at 72nd and so should you all.

Sports

Met Nicole at The Parlor Pub on W. 86th. This is a cool Irish Pub where they were showing the France vs. New Zealand quarter finals rubgy match. Max and Maude who are French were with us (or we were with them!). It was so much fun and France won! Exciting game. I am hooked. Scotland plays today. And all the guys looked like they could have had their own month in a calender! Wow.



If you look at the photo notice the two French people watching the match on telly and the two people who used to live in LA looking straight into camera. And that Nicole is a knock out!




Village Groovy




I left my compatriotes français and headed Downtown to the Village to meet my sister Eileen's friend Nancy. We met 11 years ago at Lisa's birthday party in San Francisco. I guess it was such a good party as neither of us really remember each other though I remember her more than she does me, but wouldn't you? Through Nancy I met Peggy and we went out to dinner at a macrobitic restaurant. All so very, very. It was a great time. As I type this Nancy is with her dog out of the City on "Outward Hound." Once I get my heel in order I want to join her on an excursion.

Wow. What a full day. I walked through the Village checking out the scene and then headed home. 17979 steps and many blisters later.

1 comment:

Criticlasm said...

OMG. The Parlour is where we used to go after work on Sunday's to sing Karaoke. It's where we had my going away on my last night of the restaurant, and Bridget sang piece of my heart, did shots on the bar, threw me to the ground, and ripped off the collar of my shirt. Many Guinnesses. Eeep. Good times. You can probably still see her there on Sunday's--there's a cute gay Irish bartender there as well.