Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Cynopsis Dinner

Steps 22,281

Went to the Chelsea Piers tonight for a fundraiser dinner where work had bought a table. My first New York media event! I lie as I went to my first BAFTA East Coast TV Committee meeting this morning. It looks like I am on the committee. I made some proposals they liked and I look forward to being more involved.

But anyway, I went to this event tonight. Right on the water overlooking the Hudson and New Jersey. These are the piers where the big boats like the Lusitania docked. And Malcolm Forbes' yacht was there. Cool. It was nice to hang with colleagues and get to know them better. The woman responsible for the whole black tie optional evening, Cynthia Turner, started Cynopsis - a series of electronic media-related newsletters that has grown into a big business. I wish I spoke to her afterwards as I would have told her that I saw my New York job posted on her site and because of her site my life has truly changed. True story. She spoke and was so charismatic and lovely. You could tell that she lights up a room where ever she goes. I was impressed. I need to write and tell her so. It was a fundraiser for kids and oceans, basically. Two causes that she supports with her foundation. Jacques Cousteau's grandson spoke, but I was put off by his American accent and blond highlights. Let's say I am in the shallow end of the water on that one. But if you are in the media biz and do not already get her newsletters go to her site and sign up for the daily ones. They are really good.

I decided to take advantage of an oddly warm October night to walk back to the subway from the river. I thought it was a good time to return calls. I was on a call with my friend Mary and we chatted me all the way home on foot! That was 60 blocks! I am going to sleep tonight. 60 blocks in dress shoes! It was a good visit.

No comments: