Sunday, October 28, 2007

I live here! I really live here!

18568 Steps

NY Stock Exchange


To steal a phrase from my friend Marjorie when she speaks of San Francisco, I was tripped out today walking around Manhattan when I realized how "I live here, I really live here!" and I love it.

A gorgeous Autumn day after yesterday's rain. I met friends for breakfast in the Village and then took off and went for a walk along the Hudson River down to the Battery and around towards the Brooklyn Bridge. Seeing the Statue of Liberty for the first time this time really brought the excitement and thrill home to me today. Wow, I live right where I can see the Statue of Liberty anytime I want. I know I could have gotten this same thrill for cheaper by moving to Las Vegas, but this is far superior! I trotted all over Wall Street and was right at the church where George Washington has his own pew! There is a painting of him walking right by where I was. That you can't get in Vegas. (Though I wouldn't be surprised if they actually buy the flagstones and moved them to the Strip.)

I gave directions to 5 English women wearing matching "I (heart) NY" sweatshirts at South Street Seaport. They asked me if I was a local and I said "Yes, I am 30 days into be so, where do you want to go?" Amidst all the surrounding history of their crushing defeat lo those 200 odd years past, I was able to direct those sweet English roses bedecked in their American finery to where they wanted to go --Abercrombie & Fitch.

I took the subway home and talked to a guy standing next to me who has been here a year from Sicily. We spoke until his 42nd Street stop. Will I ever see him again? Doubtful, but possible, in what is turning into being the biggest small town in the world.

I have to be thankful for such a wonderful day. I even got home and made myself some vegetables (which I offset with a mushroom lasagna that must have been 80 points.) I watched a film for work and I talked to a guy about joining a pipe band that practices in the Bronx. His name is more Irish than even mine - Byrne O'Sullivan. Isn't that the greatest name you ever heard? Nice guy too. So we shall see.


The Site where George Washington was inaugurated.



Me talking to my sister Seona in California. Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island in bg.


The Street Where People Who Own Stuff Work
.



Church that George Washington went to the day of his inauguration.

South Street Seaport. Like a back lot movie set to me! Loved it.

2 comments:

Tony Westbrook said...

Wow you were in MY "hood". I live not far from there...5 min walk. Who knew you were so close yesterday!!!

Criticlasm said...

I used to work there! Many years. You have to go to the stock exhange around Xmas--they do a big flag in Xmas lights. And the Musuem of the American Indian that used to be the customs house on Bowling Green. Have you ever read "Bartelby the Scrivener"? It all happens down on and around Wall. Such great history.

Also, in that building on William and Wall that was the hotel wehre Liza and David married (the Regent?)has an entire ceiling that's Wedgwood.