Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Which way did he go George?

9196 Steps

Wow. Almost hit the daily 10,000 steps today. This is thanks to having no inner compass I have to admit. New York City as most people know is mostly a grid divided east and west by 5th Avenue. Fairly simple. And I use the Empire State Building as kind of my divining rod (Dividing rod?). New York is very, well, masculine in its presentation and the Empire State Building stands out most proudly. Though it would sadly shy away from lathering next to Chicago's Sears Tower in the showers, it still is quite formidable. And useful, if you know what you are doing with it. I like to pride myself on the fact that I do, but I rarely do really.

I had to meet a friend at 36th between 10th and 11th. I am at Broadway at 50th. Broadway being between 7th and 8th at this point. Follow? No, this is not a word problem. So I get out at 34th and 7th where Macy's is and the miracle happened and I walk up to 36th. I see the Empire State Building and know to walk west to 10th. But the Empire State Building is at 34th and 5th so I am looking south when I think I am looking north and therefore I walk east instead of west. I don't discover this until 5th Avenue which is 2 blocks in the wrong direction. And it is really 4 blocks in the wrong direction since I have to double back and these are four HUGE New York City blocks. So that was 7.5 long ass city blocks I walked when I really only needed to walk 3. And that is how I got so many steps tonight. For extra credit: if a fire hydrant at 35th and 8th were spewing water at a rate of 27 gallons a minute...

I could bore the pants off a...pants enthusiast. And I think that is about all.

1 comment:

fud said...

Have a Question for you and anyone else that looks at this.Why do people like you who are goodlooking ,clever ,tall and such a nice person to know.Then why do we still worry so much about body image? Is it not enough to be a goog person ? Any way Mr moan a minute why not swim instead of trying to walk so much with a sore foot.It will good for your body and just think what else you could check out while there.Keep the Irish eyes smiling .Fud