Sunday, November 1, 2009

Jayne Mielo


I have been taking NIA for a while now at the Westside YMCA. It is basically holistic dance movement. I take classes from Jayne Mielo and she is truly wonderful on all levels: a great and generous instructor, a peaceful person and a friend. I think the whole group just loves following her. I am big on choreographed movement yet there is a lot of free-flowing self-expression in NIA which takes me out of my comfort zone. The whole thing is therapy - physical and mental- for me. And I have Jayne to thank for being such a light on this.

I take Afro-Jazz and Zumba as well and in relation I call this "Berkeley Hippie Chick" dance because I think I am out at People's Park just grooving to my own vibe. It is truly wonderful.

So in today's post I celebrate my instructor Jayne who gave us such a great class tonight.

Here is some further info:

Dancing Through Life: The Nine Movement Forms of Nia

Martial Arts: T’ai Chi, Tae Kwon Do, Aikido
Dance Arts: Jazz Dance, Modern Dance, Duncan Dance
Healing Arts: Yoga, Alexander Technique, The Teachings of Moshe Feldenkrais®

No comments: