Sunday, November 15, 2009

(500) Days of Summer


Went to a screening of this film at MOMA tonight with Peter. Zooey Deschanel and Joseph-Gordon Levitt were there as well as the director and the writers. Amy Heckerling, director of "Clueless" and "Fast Times at Ridgemont High" was the moderator.

The film is about a guy who falls for a girl who won't entirely fall for him and then marries another. He is PAINED. His life is RUINED. He WILL NOT ever find another.

While watching, I loved it then I hated it then I hated her and then I liked it.

There is a really great spilt screen moment where they show the same scene from the perspective of the way he wanted it to be and they way it was. OW-Cha!!! OUCH! I am SO that guy! I direct every moment of my scant romantic life and it is never that way.

And then there were the flashbacks on "the signs" - the moments that were clear that she was so not that into you, and you saw them, but you refused to see them.

I guess I really liked where this film went as hard as it was to follow it in that direction. Only because there was hope and it is going to be ALWAYS TRUE: You don't want to be with someone who doesn't want to be with you.

But if ONLY they would come around....

No comments: