Tuesday, March 17, 2009

When Irish Eyes Are....



Does it get more cliche than this? What GREAT faces!



A picture of me NOT playing with the band.

My fellow bandsmen drinking out of paper bags. Class.


Today was totally Irish for me - I laughed, I cried.

It was a GORGEOUS day in Manhattan today and people were out in full GREEN force and I LOVED that. Smart woman in beautiful green coats and young "hooligans" in face paint and giant Guinness hats. The NYFD lads looking fundraiser-calender HOT in their uniforms and families all decked in green finery. It put a smile on my face.

I also think of my dad on this day as I know he would have LOVED to be here with me. This is HIS town; I am just visiting. And I would have LOVED to have been here with him. I saw the Empire State Building from where I was standing with the band and I always equate that with him as he grew up around the corner from it.

My dad's Empire State Building in the background.


I was listening to Van Morrison on my headphones on the bus earlier and tears just rolled down my face and I didn't care. I should have dyed them green! I felt so sad for the people I miss and Van can always bring that home to me.


I think the thing about longing and missing and frustration is that they can all be turned into tribute if I choose to look at them that way.

And now I do.


Here's to a great day for the Irish and all those who have gone before us and those of us still here!

Sláinte

No comments: