Saturday, March 14, 2009

St. Francis in the Dessert, er, Desert



My pal Charlie had a dinner party at his house and it was such fun. Again, after 40, dinner parties are my favorite thing of all in life. And someday I will host one?

He invited me and his friends Bill and John. I had never met Bill and John. It was a cozy meal for four in Charlie's swankily designed designer apartment. He did it himself. Besides having been a singer/performer and a Taryeton cigarette model, he was a designer - interior and furniture. I have none of those talents so I am always amazed.

Bill, me and Charlie in the den. (Still dress like a farmer and need to get more "Big City.")

Bill is a Professor of Italian Renaissance Art History at Columbia. I asked him about Bellini's "St. Francis in the Desert" at the Frick Collection (because I JUST saw it and it took my BREATH away - please see March 8th 2009 blog entry to prove I am not a total pretentious bastard. Besides, this is what we New York types talk about at our dinner parties. No more film grosses for me!)

I said, "Bill, Bellini's 'St. Francis in the Desert' at the Frick is considered to be the finest Italian Renaissance painting in the United States. What do you think about that?" He agreed. And he spoke about why. It was amazing to discuss emotion, intellect and physical reaction to art. I felt like Marilyn Monroe to his Arthur Miller...

The Moon and New York City on the way home. My dad grew up right around the corner from here.

No comments: