Saturday, September 15, 2007

So Long, Farewell


This was all a rush job and I didn't get a chance to say goodbye to so many people. Still haven't. Do you tell people via blog? That seems tacky. With all this new technology we need a new Emily Post. (What a unwittingly brilliant timely surname she had!) I had decided to leave LA on Wednesday, 26 Sept. which would have been my dead dog Luv's 36th human birthday and, oh yeah, my sister Eileen's 8th wedding anniversary. And now "Pat/rick Leaves LA" tacked on to to this historically loaded date. I had decided to drive a U-Haul to Oakland to drop off furniture at my brother Sean's and boxes (lots of 'em) at my sister Eileen's. Since I had this fixed deadline, I had only a few more days to have a moving sale, arrange for a donation pick up, pack the truck and leave. To be overdramatic and cheesy, I felt like the Von Trapps doing their final concert in Salzburg and then escaping over the hill to Switzerland under the cover of night. Yes, I was in a U-Haul and it was the desolate I-5 during the day, but leaving felt the same. And I didn't sing and I had blinds and no curtains, but other than that it was a direct parallel.

No comments: