Tuesday, April 26, 2011

"How I Learned..." at The Happy Ending, New York City

Tonight I went back to The Happy Ending in Chinatown. This is one of those places that seems illegal or a front for something you don't want to know anything about.  I could swear it is a poetry club, bar and illicit massage parlor where naughty things happen.  It is the sort of venue that confuses me. And I like that.

Tonight I was there to to hear writers read for the 'How I Learned" Series. This is a format where writers can get up and read on a certain topic. Tonight's was "How I Learned...It's Not Me, It's You (or Maybe It's Me)"  Boy I could have read at this one!

Some great people got up. But first the hostess and creator, Blaise Allysen Kearsley, MC'd and started the night by reading about her love affairs from high school in her diary of the time. Brilliant. She is a very personable, off-the-cuff funny MC.  I really enjoyed her.

The readers were wonderful.  Jim O'Grady (The Moth) was one.  Maybe someday she will ask me now that I am a published New York Times writer and essayist! Ha!

The next one is about "How I Learned About Sex."  That would be Kevin Bennett. (Not with him, he just told me about it and it was gross! Sometimes still is.)

WHEN + WHERE:


Every 4th Wednesday

8 PM / FREE!

HAPPY ENDING

302 Broome Street

between Forsyth + Eldridge

J, M, Z, F to Delancey

B, D to Grand

{Directions}

(212) 334-9676



No comments: