Saturday, February 23, 2008

Practicing the Arts



16245 Steps
207.6 lbs.

Today I planned to change the sheets on my bed. Necessary, somewhere between vital and a tree falling in the woods, but worthy. I got up made coffee and did some writing. Then I remembered I promised myself even after a wacky carbo-binge week (i.e. it took half a lemon pound cake to process that my job was going end.) that I would go to Weight Watchers no matter what. Grrrrr. Off I went

Then I worked on my practice chanter to learn some of the music for the new pipe band I joined. But I wanted to walk through the park and go to MOMA. Rush, rush for leisure! Cram, cram all that loveliness in or it is all crap!





Out the door into the park. Ahhhh. The Choir of Angels (via i-pod) sang in this heavenly place all doused with snow. Branches and heads of statues alike. Glorious. I think Central Park is the go to place for all seasons/reasons. I walked across the park and down 5th Avenue to MOMA. "Being a local with a corporate card that gets me for free" I stroll through a few exhibits and make sure to see the Lucien Freud etchings on more time. Picassos there are great, but I gotta fly. I did see Billy Crudup an his baby there which was odd because I saw the baby's mother, Mary-Louise Parker in a play the night before. So odd/crepy/happensallthetime to think this stranger/semi-voyeur is seeing this woman, then the man who dumped her before that kid in the stroller was born and they have no clue who I am or that I exist. Before I get a 3 name psycho-killer mindset I leave and head west on 55th.


MOMA. Look at stuff. Look at People. People look back. Art too sometimes.

I arrived at the Alvin Ailey American Dance Theatre on 55th and 9th. I felt as if I was going into a forbidden naughty place and circled. I had heard a woman in Weight Watchers that morning talk about a class she took at the Ailey School. "You can do that?" I thought. Then I did the "I am going take a class there. (beat, beat) SOME DAY. " So I decided to push myself and go today. My dad had taken me to City Center in New York when I was 19 to see Alvin Ailey Dance Theatre. It was amazing. And here I am about to take a class at the school. Personally very cool.

I have not taken a dance class in 25 years. Seriously. I took an Intro Horton class. It was in a studio with a mirror, ballet bar and TWO HUGE entire wall windows in the corner of the 6th floor that looked out of over the city. It was amazing. The teacher worked us hard and I did okay for an old guy. Save for the drummer I was the only guy old or young in the room! Duh. We worked on a combination and it was fun. I am going to go back. I am sure I will feel pain tomorrow!

Piping, Painting, Art, Sculpture, Photography, and Dance. All in one day. But no bed change.

No comments: