Monday, December 8, 2008

Musical Mondays


Ahhhh, if only every Monday were like a musical: people dancing in the streets, meeting "that special sweetheart" at the soda fountain, having a rumble but en  pointe!  

I met Eric and Michael tonight and we went to Splash - this bar in Chelsea which has jumbo screens ALL OVER the enormous bar upstairs and and the one downstairs. I mean, I don't think you can even tinkle in this place without Ethel Merman telling you there' s no business like show business in Technicolor.   It is basically a gay version of a sports bar.  Instead of Brett Favre, there is LIZA! 

And there is a SEA of showtune queens that wedge into this giant space and mouth the words to every song.   A sea.  One even brought a witch's hat and jumped up on a table and performed the first act closing number from "Wicked" which was playing sensoround all around him. New York gays know their theatre and I could not even compete.  I know no ballads from "Steel Pier."   I get stuck on who the played Marian the Librarian in the Broadway cast of "The Music Man."  How many runs did the show have?  I have no idea. 

But I LOVED IT all.  I have to say.  First I say I am going to church and then I say I am flaming out at Musical Mondays in Chelsea.  I live in fear of me.

But my new addiction will be curbed as I have bagpipe practice Monday nights. And before you try and catch me in a lie as to why I wasn't at practice, I had major gum surgery and am unable to put anything in my mouth and blow. 

No comments: